Pages

Wednesday 24 April 2013

Tired it Tuesday- CUPs Editing acronym

I'm linking up with Holly from Fourth Grade Flipper for another Tired it Tuesday. 

Thought I'd share something I've mentioned before. In my K-1 room I use the acronym CUPs to help my first graders edit their own writing. To start with I only focus on Capitals and full stops.




I put this up on the SmartBoard as a reminder and they use a red pencil to edit, so I can see what they have changed.

What I love:

  • It's visual.
  • The acronym is a great reminder and it's easier to say "Have you used CUPs?" than "Have you edited your work?".
  • My kiddos are much more aware of sentence structure because they are their own editers.
What I don't love:
  • The "U" for understanding really needs to be focused on and taught repeatedly for the kids to get it. Would be better if it was an "M" for Makes sense but then it's not a word!
  • I have to keep the red pencils in a cupboard because if I leave them out they need to do a disappearing act. I'm hopeless at remembering to get them out but I have a kiddo organised to do this so it makes it easier.
What can I do differently:
I've been meaning to make this into a flip book or poster for tables so that it can be used if the computer has a hissy fit (which always happens at the worst time). In a dream world where I had more time I would figure out a way to make this interactive and have a game to match it on the computer.

Click here if you would like a free copy of the SmartBoard page. Looking forward to reading all the other great ideas!

post signature

1 comment:

  1. We use CUPS from Step-Up to Writing! (C=capitalization, U=usage, P=punctuation, S=spelling). I love your red pencil idea!
    ~Holly
    Fourth Grade Flipper

    ReplyDelete

09 10